Search This Blog

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Doggie question

Ok, here's the problem. My wonderful little doggie Chico likes to pee on my new carpet overnight. He's never peed on the floor in the daytime when we're all awake, only overnight. Now, for the most part he sleeps on my bed with me all night, as far as I'm aware....he's there with me when I go to sleep, if I wake up to pee at night, and when I wake up in the morning, so when he gets down in the night and pees I just don't know.
Besides crating him, does anyone have any ideas how I might be able to curb this behavior? I normally go to bed around 11pm and wake up around 5am.....like he can't hold it for 6 dang hours??!!??

3 comments:

Trish said...

I'm sure you have tried this but

Let him out RIGHT before you go to bed. Pull up his water about an hour before you go to bed. You can try keeping him confined to a small room such as a bathroom, put down a pee pee pad for him (like when they potty train puppies).

We find this alot with little dogs, the owners don't treat them like dogs cuz they are just TOO cute! You have to be assertive and make sure he understands that the peeing is a BAD thing(rub his nose in it, etc.)

Have patience. They also have doggie behaviorists, ask your vet for a reference!

Unknown said...

Can't help you any better than Trish has already. But I wish you luck.
Our daschund stays on our bed all night. But he does NOt eat or drink anything after 7 pm and goes out RIGHT before bed. Fortunately I sleep light so if he gets up I hear or feel him.
I have only had to let him out once or twice at night during the few months we've had him.
Good luck and I hope some of Trish's suggestions help.

Jaye said...

I agree with Trish, although to me, there isn't much difference between crating a dog and confining them to a bathroom. Because of that and because dogs can get often become destructive when confined in areas larger than a crate, I have always (from experience) opted for the crate-training method with excellent results.

Best of luck to you, Lisa!