Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Peter's Shortbread Cookies

Well, I searched and searched, literally for days and could not find this recipe. I even posted a plea to C'ville thinking I had sent it someone, but nothing.
Today, while looking through pattern drawer......TADA ..... there it was, the precious recipe.
I decided to post this recipe here just in case I ever misplace it again. Go ahead and try it, you'll just love it. Trust me. BUT, please do not submit this recipe anywhere as your own.
It was given to me by my old neighbor. He was (10 years ago) a widower and in his late 60's. He took a liking to me and my kids because he didn't like what he saw of my ex husband (note the EX husband). He'd invite us over for tea and cookies. He always had these cookies in the fridge and one day I asked him where he got the recipe. He told me it was his own and the secret was the 'fruit sugar' instead of anything else. He gave it to me because he didn't have any children to give it to. I felt honored.
I ended up splitting from my ex and shortly thereafter moved to Texas. I don't know if Peter is still 'with us' but I think of him many times a year, every time I make these cookies. Thank you Peter.......

Peter's Shortbread Cookies

1lb butter (has to be butter)
1 cup fruit sugar (+some for rolling after baked)(has to be fruit sugar....no substitutes....can be found in baking stores)
1/2 tsp or less salt
1/2 cup Corn starch
3 1/2 cup flour (+1 cup flour)

Make butter very soft. It is easier to mix this way. A little tip is to cut butter in small pieces and place in a bowl that is sitting in hot water in the sink. This will melt it so watch that it does not separate. Mix so it does not separate.

Mix butter, salt and fruit sugar. Blend thoroughly. Add cornstarch. Add flour gradually. you may have to knead by hand.
Take one additional cup of flour and add small portions as you mix until dough begins to crack. you may not use all of this last cup.
Roll out 3/8" to 1/2" thick, in squares or cookie cutter.
Cook at 325F for approximately 20 minutes. Watch closely as they are easy to over cook
Take out when they have a golden tint.
Roll in fruit sugar when cool enough to handle. Store in fridge or freezer for best taste.

Note: I may make some tomorrow and post a picture. I'd make it today but have to go trick or treating in a few hours.

Yummy yummy yummy!!!!!!

2 comments:

Wormie said...

They DO sound yummy! Thank you for sharing the recipe. I want to try it too!!

Wormie said...

They DO sound yummy! Thank you for sharing the recipe. I want to try it too!!